Expand Your Business

Whether you are existing or expanding, Calaveras County Economic Development can help you navigate through new regulations that may have not applied to your business before. In addition, contact our office to see whether there are any Business Incentives available. 

  • Below are some guidelines for additional regulatory requirements that you may want to consider.

Building and Planning Department

Building & Planning Departments

Applies to:

  • Construction of a new building or structure
  • Activities to remodel, expand or otherwise physically change a building or structure (including plumbing, mechanical and electrical modifications)
  • Demolition of a building or structure
  • Any change in the use or occupancy of a building or structure

What to do:

  1. Prior to beginning construction or remodeling at locations in unincorporated Calaveras County, contact the Building Department to learn what permits and inspections you may need. You will also want to contact the Calaveras County Planning Department to ensure your business expansion is in accordance with the proper land use, entitlements, and zoning requirements.
  2. For locations in Angels Camp, contact the City’s Planning and Development Department to learn about building permits and inspections.
  3. If there is a change in your business operations you may be required to obtain additional approval and/or permits such as from the fire districts and Environmental Management Agency
  4. Undergo inspections during the construction/remodeling process

Air Quality

The Calaveras County Air Pollution Control District is part of the county Environmental Management Agency. The mission of the District is to protect our environment and local community through collaboration, education, and enforcement of District rules and California Air Resources Control Board - Air Toxic Control Measures that result in the reduction of air pollutants and contaminants.

The District permits and inspects stationary sources of air pollution. These sources include, but are not limited to; gasoline dispensing facilities (gas stations), rock quarries, paint spray booths, and diesel generators greater than 50 break horsepower (bhp).

Stationary Source Permits - are issued to ensure that all equipment and processes that have the potential to emit air contaminants comply with Federal, State and local District regulations. Through the issuance of permits, District staff are able to work closely with businesses, agencies and residents of Calaveras County to help meet the District's mission of protecting public health through the promotion of air quality. An Authority to Construct Application is required when installing or modifying equipment and/or beginning new process operations.  Please call the Air District at (209) 754-6399 to verify whether or not your facility will need an Air Pollution Control Permit to Operate.

Carl Moyer Program - provides incentive grants for public and private entities to fund the installation of new engines or install new technologies that result in engines that emit emissions that exceed current emission (clean air) standards. Eligible projects include cleaner off-road and on-road engines. The program provides monetary grants to private companies and public agencies to clean up their heavy-duty engines beyond that required by law through retrofitting, re-powering, or replacing their diesel-powered engines with newer and cleaner engines. Each year the district accepts applications year-round for funding on a first-come, first-served basis.


Demolition and Renovation Asbestos Notification
Calaveras County is a “non-delegated “air district as recognized by Federal EPA therefore a notification form for the demolition of structures must always be sent directly to the California Air Resources Board. A link to the notification form as well as detailed instructions are provided at http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/asbestos/asbestos.htm


Please make sure to contact the Calaveras County Building Department at (209) 754-6390
for demolition and renovation permit requirements.

Information on Burn Days and Burn Permits
The district also disseminates burn day information given by the California Air Resources Board, and issues burn permits for parcels greater than 5 acres.

Environmental Health Department

The Environmental Health Department (EHD) is part of the county Environmental Management Agency. The mission of the EMD is to protect our environment and local community through collaboration, education, and regulation of state and locally mandated programs related to environmental management.

Regulation of Hazardous Material

Applies to:

The EMD is certified by CalEPA as a Unified Program Agency (CUPA) to assure that businesses handing greater than “threshold amounts” of hazardous materials maintain current inventories of the hazardous material that are used by the business, safely store and handle the materials, maintain safety plans, and are periodically inspected for compliance.

Regulatory thresholds are:

  • 55 gallons of a hazardous liquid
  • 500 pounds of a hazardous solid
  • 200 cubic feet of a hazardous gas at Standard Temperature and Pressure

Regulation of tanks storing hazardous materials:

  • Businesses having an underground storage tank (UST)
  • Businesses storing more than 1320 gallons of petroleum products above ground storage tanks

What to do:

Due to the complex nature of environmental regulations pertaining to hazardous materials, it is recommended that you contact the CUPA to assure that all applicable regulations will be met.

Regulation of Hazardous Waste

Applies to:

A generator of any amount of hazardous wastes

What to do:

  1. Obtain a hazardous waste generator permit (renewed annually)
  2. Properly manage and dispose of generated hazardous wastes
  3. Undergo triennial inspections for hazardous waste management requirements

Regulation of Retail Food Facilities

The retail food safety program assures that restaurants, markets, bars, community events, schools, bed and breakfast facilities, cottage food operations, and jails serve safe food. The EHD’s oversight activities include plan review of all new and remodeled food facilities, annual permitting, inspection, and complaint and foodborne illness investigation and follow-up.

Other Regulatory Programs

In addition, the EMA regulates public pools and spas, body art facilities, organized camps, public water systems (up to 200 service connections), and individual water systems, including the drilling and repair of water wells.

Onsite Wastewater Department

The Onsite Wastewater Department (EHD) is part of the county Environmental Management Agency. The mission of the EMD is to protect our environment and local community through collaboration, education, and regulation of the siting, design, installation, operation, and maintenance of onsite wastewater (septic) systems.


​​​​​​Applies to:

  1. Any activities or conditions creating, or potentially creating, discharges of pollutants (anything other than pure rainwater) to the storm drain system


  1. Discharges of pollutants or wastes bearing pollutants into or affecting surface waters


What to do:

  1. All facilities, construction sites and persons must prevent discharge of pollutants to the stormwater system.
  2. Gain coverage under the state's Industrial General Stormwater Permit for businesses involved with manufacturing, mining, concrete production, transportation (if fueling or maintenance is performed on-site), auto wrecking, recycling, scrap, hazardous waste storage and treatment facilities, and other activities specified in the Industrial General Permit
  3. Gain coverage under the state's Construction General Permit for construction activities disturbing greater or equal to one acre of soil (or as part of a larger development project disturbing greater or equal to one acre)
  4. Obtain a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit for discharges of pollutants into or affecting surface water
  5. Obtain Waste Discharge Requirements (WDRs) for waste discharges made to land or that impact groundwater


Applies to:

  1. Any business, state or local government having employees.
  2. Equipment, structures, materials, activities or environments that pose hazards or safety issues to workers or to the public including, but not limited to: 
    • Aerial equipment (ski lifts, trams, amusement rides) 
    • Asbestos related work 
    • Compressed gas handling & storage 
    • Confined Space Operations 
    • Construction Activities (trenching, construction or demolition involving more than 3 stories, heavy equipment use, etc.) 
    • Crane Operations 
    • Electrical Safety 
    • Elevators 
    • Environments requiring the use of personal protective equipment like hearing protection, respirators, eye protection, etc.
    • Ergonomics
    • Fire Prevention Provisions 
    • Flammable & Hazardous Material Handling 
    • Forklifts 
    • Ladder Safety 
    • Pressurized Equipment (boilers, propane tanks, air tanks, etc.) 
    • Smoking in the workplace 
    • Workplace exposures to hazardous substances including carcinogens, blood-borne pathogens, and hazardous materials, etc.

​What to do:

  1. Develop and implement an effective, written Illness & Injury Prevention Plan addressing workplace hazards.
  2. Undergo inspections by Cal-OSHA as part of its random inspection program or as the result of a complaint or serious injury in the workplace
  3. Obtain a permit for the following activities:
    • Construction of trenches or excavations equal to or greater than 5 feet deep (if a person will enter at any time)
    • Construction or destruction of a vertical shoring system equal to or greater than 36 feet high
    • Construction or demolition of any building or structure equal to or greater than 36 feet high
    • Fixed and mobile tower cranes 
    • Helicopter operations used in construction activities
    • Underground use of diesel engines in mines or tunnels 
    • Use of air tanks, propane tanks greater than 125 gallons and high pressure boilers
    • Elevator and escalator installation and operation (permit may also be required for other moving conveyance devices) 
    • Amusement ride & bungee jumping operations
    • Aerial passenger devices (trams, ski lifts, etc.)

 4.  Obtain registrations for either of the following:

  • asbestos related work disturbing more than 100 square feet (applies to contractors and employers)
  • use of a regulated carcinogen by an employer

 5.  Obtain certifications for:

  • Operation of cranes rated more than 3 tons capacity 
  • Safety representatives and gas testers for underground tunneling and mining operations 
  • Contractors & Consultants for asbestos related work disturbing more than 100 square feet 
  • Qualified Safety Inspectors of permanent amusement rides

 6.  Obtain a blasting license for employers using explosives in the workplace

 7.  Provide notification to Cal-OSHA for:

  • Any serious or fatal accident, illness or injury in the workplace
  • Asbestos abatement by any contractor or employer 
  • Disturbance of lead containing material at a workplace (unless lead content is <0.5% or total amount of lead containing material is <100 square feet or linear feet) 
  • Operation of a mine or incidents involving mine or tunnel fires, stability or safety


Primary Regulatory Agencies

California Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Occupational Safety and Health
2424 Arden Way, Suite 165
Sacramento 95825
(916) 263-2800


U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Region IX Office
71 Stevenson Street, Room 420
San Francisco, California 94105 
(415) 975-4310

Agriculture/Weights & Measures

This Department is the local delivery system for a variety of statewide regulatory programs. The County Agricultural Commissioner/Director of Weights and Measures is appointed by the County Board of Supervisors, receives direction from the Secretary of the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) and the Director of the California Department of Pesticide Regulation (CDPR) and works in cooperation with numerous other federal, state and local agencies. The Agricultural Commissioner's enforcement authority is derived from the California Food and Agricultural Code, and Calaveras County Ordinances. As the Director of Weights and Measure's enforcement authority is found in the California Business and Professions Code. 

For agricultural businesses, the Ag Commissioner is key.  Their office regulates pesticide usage and is an amazing resource for people going into that type of venture. The office preforms the following functions:

  • Registers all pest control operations in the county, both agricultural and structural
  • Registers all farm labor contractors
  • Issues operator IDs and Permits to apply pesticides to agricultural land, golf courses, cemeteries and rights of way
  • Issues certified producers certificates for producers who wish to sell at certified farmer’s markets
  • Issues certified farmer’s market certificates
  • Receives applications for Williamson Act properties
  • Tests and seals all weighing and measuring devices used for trade
  • Investigates unfair business practices, such as false advertising at gas stations and grocery stores

Solid Waste & Recycling

Calaveras Integrated Waste Management has resources available to serve the residents and businesses of Calaveras. Their mission is to ensure the availability of safe, responsible, and cost effective waste collection and disposal & recycling services to residents and businesses in Calaveras County. This site is for everyone interested in making smart choices about the waste which is generated in our homes, businesses, and our communities.