Starting a Business

There are several key steps to launching a successful business in Calaveras County and they will vary according to the type of business you intend to start.

Below are some guidelines to help you move in the right direction.

Fire Districts

Some types of businesses must obtain a fire inspection permit. To find out if you need a permit, contact your local fire district. There are 11 separate Fire Districts located in Calaveras County.  Click HERE to see which Fire District your business is located in.  Below is the contact information for each district.


Altaville Melones Fire Protection District
148 Monte Verda Street
Altaville, CA 95221
Phone: (209) 736-4461
Fax: (209) 736-4238

Ebbetts Pass Fire District
PO Box 66 (1037 Blagen Road)
Arnold, CA 95223
Phone: (209) 795-1646

City of Angels Fire Department
PO Box 667 (1404 Vallecito Road)
Angels Camp, CA 95222
Phone: (209) 736-4081

Mokelumne Hill Fire Protection District
8160 Church Street
Mokelumne Hill, CA 95245
Phone: (209) 286-1389

Calaveras Consolidated Fire
(Jenny Lind & Foothill Fire Protection Districts)
6501 Jenny Lind Road
Valley Springs, CA 95252
Phone: (209) 786-2227

Murphys Fire District
PO Box 1013 (37 Jones Street)
Murphys, CA
Phone: (209) 728-3864

CAL FIRE Tuolumne-Calaveras Unit
785 Mountain Ranch Road
San Andreas, CA 95249
Phone: (209) 754-3831

San Andreas Fire Protection District
37 Church Hill Street
San Andreas, CA 95249
Phone: (209) 754-4693

Central Calaveras Fire & Rescue Protection District
19927 Jesus Maria Road
Mokelumne Hill, CA 95245
Phone: (209) 754-4330

West Point Fire Protection District
PO Box 315 (195 Spink Road)
West Point, CA 95255
Phone: (209) 293-7000

Copperopolis Fire Protection District
PO Box 131 (370 Main Street)
Copperopolis, CA 95228
Phone: (209) 785-2393



File Tax Information

  • Every business in California must submit a yearly Business Income Tax Statement to the Franchise Tax Board (FTB). For filing information, contact a private accountant or the FTB
  • Businesses that sell tangible property in California that would ordinarily be subject to sales tax if sold at retail must apply for seller’s permit/resale numbers with the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
  • All employers and self-employed individuals must pay Social Security taxes

Hire Employees

Build and Remodel

For locations in unincorporated Calaveras County, contact the County’s Building Department to learn what permits and inspections you may need. You will also want to contact the Calaveras County Planning Department to ensure you can operate your business in accordance with the proper land use, entitlements, and zoning requirements.

For locations in Angels Camp, contact that City’s Planning and Development Department to learn about building permits and inspections.

CA Department of Consumer Affairs Special State Licensing Boards and Bureaus

Connect to Utilities

There are several different utility providers in Calaveras County.  Presented below are the most common organizations.    

  • Calaveras County Water District
    PO Box 846 (120 Toma Court)
    San Andreas, CA 95249
    Phone: (209) 754-3543
    Fax: (209) 754-1069

  • Calaveras Public Utilities District
    PO Box 666 (506 W. St. Charles St.)
    San Andreas, CA 95249
    Phone: (209) 754-9442
    FAX: (209) 754-9432

  • Murphys Sanitary District
    15 Ernest St Suite A
    Murphys, CA 95247
    Phone: (209) 728-3094
    FAX: (209) 728-9510

  • San Andreas Sanitary District
    PO Box 1630
    San Andreas, CA 95249
    Phone: (209) 754-3281

  • Valley Springs Public Utility District

  • Pacific Gas & Electric is the primary electricity provider in Calaveras County
  • There are various propane companies that provide service to Calaveras County

Learn About Additional Calaveras County Permits & Regulations

For information on all types of Environmental Health Department permits, including:

  • Food Facility Program
  • Ground Water Protection
  • Hazardous Materials / CUPA
  • Institutions Program
  • Land Use/Development
  • Liquid Waste Haulers
  • Organized Camps
  • Public Swimming Pools & Spas
  • Small Public Water Systems
  • Solid Waste Reg. Oversight
  • Underground Storage Tanks
  • Vector (pest) Control
  • Well Program

Some types of businesses must obtain a fire inspection permit. To find out if you need a permit, contact your local fire district. Their contact information can be found in the Fire Districts Section.

Obtain a Business License

Most businesses in unincorporated Calaveras County, including home-based and internet-only companies, are required to get a business license. Information on the businesses required to obtain a business license is located HERE. There are 18 types of businesses that require additional special licenses. The Calaveras County Treasurer-Tax Collector administers the business license program and applications are available online at Calaveras County Business License Application.

Businesses located in Angels Camp can obtain a permit application at Angels Camp Business License, and should contact the city’s Business License office for more information.

Register a Fictitious Business Name

If you plan to conduct business under a name other than your legal last name, you must file a fictitious business name with the Calaveras County Clerk-Recorder. This applies to businesses in both unincorporated areas and incorporated city of Angels Camp.

Explore Options for Financing a Business

Select a Location and Research Regulations

  • Review a map of Calaveras County and its incorporated city of Angels Camp.
  • Visit the County’s Parcel Viewer for jurisdiction, land use and other information on a specific address or parcel.
  • Select a potential location and research zoning regulations and existing infrastructure before signing a lease, buying a building or starting a home-based business. This step can help avoid unnecessary costs.
  • For locations in the incorporated City of Angels Camp, contact doing business in Angels Camp.

Remember you can always contact the Economic & Community Development Department for free business assistance.

Establish a Legal Business Structure

Consult with an attorney or tax accountant to determine what type of legal structure is best for your business.

If you are considering becoming a corporation, (either stock or nonprofit), a limited liability company or a partnership (limited, or limited liability), you must file with the Secretary of State's Office at .

You may also be required to get a sellers permit from the state of California

Research and Create a Business Plan

Research your chosen industry or field and assess your readiness to become an entrepreneur. Should you decide to move forward, you will need to develop a business plan for your proposed business. Resources for free advice on research, business planning, financing and more.

The Small Business Development Center has a number of tools and resources:

*Disclaimer: The above guidelines do not replace the professional advice necessary to start or run a business. Calaveras County strongly encourages all businesses to seek professional legal and financial and real estate counsel when starting, expanding or relocating.